Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Posing; +/- support

Today I was so happy to get the Tanji Johnson posing video I ordered through the mail. As a first time aspiring figuring competitor (and WINNER :p) it was important for me to get step-by-step instruction on how to pose and present myself on stage. Posing and posture makes such a difference in presenting a solid muscular body. I brought my full length mirror into the living room as I was practicing posing and I felt like I was looking at a completely different person in the mirror. Proper posing to emphasize strengths and minimize weak areas really is an art.
I will be just as concerned with practicing my presentation and poses as I am concerned with working out hard and eating well.

On a side note, I'd like to remind everyone of the importance of drowning out negativity and amplifying positive support. Since I've made known my aspiration to compete in a figure competition, I've received mixed feedback. My husband has been consistently supportive of me and all my goals (which I am truly thankful for). However, my mother does not take me seriously. She also has misconceptions of what a figure athlete is. She assumes that bodybuilding and figure is the same thing. She does not want me to get too muscular and "ugly." I had to educate her as well as brush off any discouraging words from her. I showed her my poses and she laughed and pretty much said I couldn't and shouldn't do it. I have to admit, I was a little hurt that she offered veeeery little support, I even shed a tear or two. But then soon after, I made the decision to brush it off and use her attitude towards my goals as fuel. I need to push myself even harder to prove to her (and myself) that I can do well.

Overall, I'm going strong and enjoying the process towards my big day.
"God, give me the grace to balance everything. My ultimate goal is to give You all the glory, Father. You are first."

No comments:

Post a Comment